Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Beauty

The Beauty

As I lifted off the Tarmac in portland my heart was pounding, my breath swift, and my palms becoming clammy. Anyone who knows me, knows I have an incredible fear of heights. At the moment it was overcast. As we shot straight for the clouds I closed my eyes, heard the landing gear coming up and popped them open again,just in time to look back and see the river and businesses below..growing smaller by the second. I said my prayers, and rubbed the necklace Riley gave me for comfort. I was still severely tense. I sang dad happy birthday in my head. Then we popped through the clouds..amazing. The sun was bright and the sky a beautiful blue. The clouds we just came through looked like a grand blanket of snow. It reminded me of being atop Mt Hood with dad on a gorgeous sunny day, ready to hit the slopes. At that moment I asked him to join me in enjoying the view. Now for anyone who knows my dad, he was really big on sharing the beauty in things. This brought me back to climbing Sleeping Beauty with him. At the top there is an outcropping of rocks that he wanted me to jump over to with him. I wasn't havin it. My heart was in my throat and my stomach was at my feet. I felt paralyzed. He said 'Jen, look at me, trust me.' and I jumped over with him. At the time I was thinking ' why does he want me to do this so badly. Why frighten me like this?' Then he said ' Look out there darlin, isn't it beautiful?' He was right. It was gorgeous, the fear completely left. I felt safe and the immense perceived risk I was taking was so worth it. To see the smile on his face, the twinkle in his eyes and that amazing view, one of the best experiences in my life. So if you see something beautiful, share it with someone. You never know just how impactful that moment could be.

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Jennifer,
    I too sang Happy Birthday to Scott..
    Your father inspired many people ..including his sister. I am so grateful that he was in my life. I remember his teasing - but I suppose that it began years before. He had to put up with my and dad's sense of humor. He was 7 years younger so at my 15yrs, he was 8 yrs old and at a disadvantage! I once called him: "one of my fine feathered friends" - when he challenged me by asking what that meant I said "a bird brain". Between Dad and me, he hardly had a chance - he had no choice....dad teased me and I passed it on (only with the usual sibling/sisterly twist and edge). All in all, your dad had an incredibly gentle heart, bright brain and wicked sense of humour!

    I too love poetry and one of my favorites is below:

    High Flight

    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
    Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
    Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
    You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
    High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
    I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
    My eager craft through footless halls of air.
    Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
    I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
    Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
    And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

    Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee
    No 412 squadron, RCAF
    Killed 11 December 1941

    I think of your dad when I read this poem.
    Much Love, Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the memories sister...I was in pretty bad shape when you wrote this...Keep writing Sister! You have a beautiful mind and when you write you too bring beauty!

    ReplyDelete